Positano, Italy

Positano, Italy

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day One

It was a long day of flying... 8 hours to Paris, a 3 hours layover in Paris, and then 2 hours to Naples, crammed in the window seat next to a man three times my size who couldn’t help but take up half of my seat. It was worth it though. If I had any doubts or reservations about coming to Positano, they quickly faded once I saw the Bay of Napoli, the beautiful trees, the buildings, and met the people.

My driver, Giovanni, was waiting for me at the airport when I arrived in Naples from Paris. Both suitcases made it (big sigh of relief) and I survived Naples. It took a little over an hour to get from Naples to Positano, but the drive was breathtaking, if not a bit nauseating from winding down curve upon curve. Lemon and orange trees lined the street, and when we weren’t in the center of town, we were on the edge of a cliff looking over turquoise water, listening to old Italian songs like Volare (at least I think that's what it's called) on the Italian radio station.  Giovanni was an excellent tour guide, pointing out Mt. Vesuvius, Capri, telling me about the two sides of Pompei, and even showing me the best pizza restaurant in Sorrento.  When I asked him where I could buy a phone in Positano, he actually gave me his phone! “I have a blackberry, I don’t really need this one” he told me. When he dropped me off at the apartment, I tipped him 10EURO for the phone, waiting for my when my flight was late, and just being a great driver - but he wouldn’t take it! “Leigh! You gave me too much! I’ll go get you your change.”

Lucia is the woman who owns my apartment and she was just as kind as Giovanni. She lives two apartments up from mine, and owns a little grocery store connected to the apartment building. “Think of me as your friend,” she told me when I arrived. “Your second mother. Anything you need, just ask. Now come with me - I’ll make you a sandwich.” I followed her into the store and she didn’t even ask what I wanted. Just threw together a tomato slices, fresh mozzarella, spices, and olive oil on Ciabatta bread. It was amazing.

She has two daughters, one 24 and one 17, who help run the grocery store and are just as sweet. My internet was not working when I arrived, so they brought me to their house to use theirs. When I asked where a bank was, where I could buy a SIM card, they told me they would take me tomorrow.

My apartment is lovely. The exterior is a peachy salmon color, and the interior is turquoise. I have a huge balcony off my bedroom and the den that overlooks the town. If you stretch your neck, you can also see the water. The town itself is actually built into the side of a cliff - bright colored building appear just stacked, one atop the other. There is just one main street here that winds down to the water - no matter where you go, you’re either walking up steps, down steps, or up or down a steep hill. It started raining tonight so didn’t get a chance to explore the town, but can’t wait to do so tomorrow.

It’s going to be a great two months here.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't lie - you'd rather be here at work.
Sounds absolutely amazing! I love the phone story - glad to see that your ridiculously good luck applies across the Atlantic as well :) Can't wait for another update!

Megan and Trevor Wilson said...

Leigh,

Everythings sounds amazing! It's so good to hear that everyone there is so incredibly nice. Have so much fun! Your two months there is going to fly by!

shana richardson said...

that sounds so wonderful!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the beginning of a movie. Chick-flick of course.

Ashley said...

Leigh! I love it! This is so YOU! Have a great time and take soo many pictures! Can't wait to follow the blog!

Georgina said...

Ahhh I'm so excited for you! Positano is great, you will have an amazing time. I can't believe he gave you his phone, that's so sweet! Love, and looking forward to London! x

Unknown said...

It sounds amazing so far. I can't wait to read all of your stories and see all of your awesome pictures! =)

Duc Bieu Pham, Photographer said...

A few notes:

1) Which airline did you fly Paris-Naples? Other than the seat situation, how was it?

2) Yeah, "Volare" is a classic song. Love it. :)

3) Can't wait to hear what you think about Capri's Blue Grotto. Made it there once, but the water was too choppy to go inside.

4) Have you ever tried the best pizza in Napoli? President Clinton ate there. If you need that recommendation (or one for an awesome hostel in Napoli), let me know.

5) I'm so glad you have such great hosts already! :)

6) Jessie's right. You need to take great notes so that we can adapt this into a stellar screenplay. ;)

Christine said...

I second Lauren's comment on the ridiculously good luck continuing! =)

Court said...

LEIGH, could your luck get any better! what the HECK!?