Positano, Italy

Positano, Italy

Thursday, March 04, 2010

"I Give You Good Price"

Everyone in Positano is friendly and laid back and no matter what you need, someone has a brother, a cousin, or a friend who can get it for you and “give you good price,” which usually ends up being somewhere between 20-30% off. 

Courtney and Thomas are coming to visit me tomorrow, and we’re planning on going to Capri for a few days. I told Mario about our plans yesterday, and it just so happens that his sister lives in Capri and rents an apartment there - with a great ocean view. “I’ll call her, she give you good deal” was his response. He told me his brother in law has a boat out there, so if the weather cooperates we’ll be able to get a nice little cruise.

Later, I told Emilio that I needed to find a taxi to pick them up from Naples. “My cousin Gianluco owns a taxi company. I’ll call him, he give you good price” was the response. When I told him I wanted to rent a scooter, it was the same. “My friend owns a scooter company - I’ll talk to him for you.” It’s nice being on a quasi-local level rather than tourist now.

I met a great young couple from Windsor, England a few nights ago. He works for the Queen and they told me all about the Royal Family, who even attended one of their wedding ceremonies (apparently it’s not uncommon to have several?). They asked if I’d been to England, I said no, so they invited me to come stay with them in Windsor for a week or so. They suggested coming in the summer, during the big polo match - I told them I’ll definitely take them up on the offer.


Tonight, Claudio and Rafaelo are taking me out to a restaurant in Sorrento, where they’ve promised the best pizza around. I’m looking forward to seeing if they’re right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is this my friend Rafa the tennis player and Claudia I hope? I guess dad and I better schedule our trip before you are all booked up for the year!